Thursday, April 16, 2009

Beyond Beats and Rhyme Review



This movie was interesting and educational at the same time. I think it's a good movie for youth to watch because of the message it has. Youth can become aware of the hidden messages that hip-hop has. Making people aware of this may lead to the start of a change, a change that is suggested in the movie. The movie has ideas that young people can relate to. The idea that I most related to was the idea of women not caring about being degraded. I, like many other women, listen to hip-hop and I don't care about what the song is saying. It is because of this that nothing is being done to make a change as shown in the movie. I can't remember any specific line but something that really got my attention was what a professor said about the homo-eroticism in hip-hop. I had never thought about that because of the discrimination against homosexual people in hip-hop lyrics and from hip-hop artists. One thing that I disagree with the movie is that hip-hop enforces stereotypes. I think hip-hop tries to do the opposite by showing men who are minorities being successful, even though it may be inappropriate.
If people choose to believe everything they see and hear in the media, then that's their decision. It's not hip-hop's fault if people are creating stereotypes from the music, it's their fault. The filmmaker did a good job of showing different aspects of hip-hop and explaining each of them. The interviews and examples of hip-hop helped to prove his point, they were also powerful. A few of the transitions could have been smoother but overall it was well made.

No comments:

Post a Comment